30.3.10

Alessandro Henri Palma Gil Poniente


This is the story of how Henri came into this world. I wrote this letter dedicated to our son.

To Our Alessandro Henri,

2 weeks before my due date which was August 18, 2009, your dad and I came across this random lady inside the subway. She made a brief comment about your dad and then began talking to us. She saw my watermelon belly and with conviction said that I would give birth the next weekend. She particularly said that it would be anywhere between Saturday to Monday (meaning August 8- 10) and added that I was going to have a healthy baby with a lot of hair so I shouldn’t be worried at all. She continued by telling us that she knew these ‘things’ because she was very close to God. I got goose bumps and was honestly freaked out. Your Lolo, Tito Hip, Tito Migo and Tita Maan were there too and heard the whole conversation. Your Lolo said that we should just shrug off the prediction because that lady could be just another nut case here in this crazy city and besides he really wanted to go to Atlantic City that weekend! Just to feel safe though, I went to the doctor for a check-up and asked permission if I could proceed with the trip. Dr. Debranis gave me the go signal so I did. Off we all went to Atlantic City and spent the night there. We drove back on Sunday and even passed by Tita Lisa’s house to have a nice barbeque dinner. We got to the apartment around 10. I took a shower and freshened up. I joined your dad in bed to watch the UFC 101 and right before BJ Penn and Kenny Florian’s match began, my water broke.

It was almost midnight when we arrived at the hospital. You weren’t ready to come out just yet so they told me to spend the night at the birthing room because it would take a few more hours before actual labor. They prepped me up and put all different devices around my tummy to monitor your progress. Dad and I spent one of the longest nights ever. I was scared, anxious and was in pain. I prayed the rosary in my head and held your dad’s hand the whole time. At 7 am, the doctors checked again and declared I was already 9 cm dilated. At 8 am, I started actual labor. After less than an hour of pushing, at exactly 8:48, Dad cut the cord and you came out into this world, all 5.15 lbs of you.

At exactly 8:48 am on August 9, 2009, you changed our lives completely and made your dad and I the happiest people in the world. I cried the first time I held you and your dad shed a tear too. You were perfect…

It was a Sunday.
…just as the random lady in the subway predicted. And yes, you had a lot of hair.


Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment